Your Hormones- What You Need to Know About Hormones To Lose Weight Over 40
Hormones are great: They make us happy, falling in love and awake, can produce a dream figure and a smooth skin. Of course, they have another side too: They could make you depressed and sad, cause acne outbreaks and spare tires. Hormones regulate our bodies- and tiny amounts cause huge changes. If you want to lose weight, you need to know a bit about hormones to lose weight. In women over 40 the hormone system changes, making it harder and harder to lose weight permanently.
- Estrogen makes sexy, gives the right curves and keeps your skin firm. But all of this will only happen, if the relative amount of estrogen is right- relative to other hormones.
Strive for a hormone system that’s functioning as perfectly as possible- it’s really worth the effort. Estrogen is an important hormone to lose weight.
- When menopause starts, the level of progesterone declines- leading to excess estrogen. This might affect the thyroid: If estrogen isn’t balanced by the right amount of progesterone, it might block thyroid hormones. And this happens even if the thyroid gland works properly. Many women in menopause experience a decline in thyroid activity.
- DHEA is another important hormone: It blocks fat storage, making it an ideal candidate to look at for women over 40 who want to lose weight permanently.
Generally, everything you do to get your estrogen level right will benefit the DHEA too. What you can eat to stimulate the DHEA hormone to lose weight: get olive oil (extra virgin), amaranth seed or rice bran.
- Thyroid hormones are extremely important: They put you in a good mood, make your skin smooth and regulate digestion. The secretion of thyroid hormones can be disturbed easily. What you can do to get your thyroid going:
- Look for your iodine intake. Good sources are fish and shellfish
- Get enough protein to stimulate hormone production
- A stressed lifestyle puts your thyroid on a high activity level. Too much of that might affect the thyroid negatively. Many women over 40 have a hectic day, making it hard to lose weight permanently
- Stress hormones like Cortisol or Adrenalin can make your body bloated and bulging. They enhance fat storage in your midsection.
A balanced lifestyle is extremely important if you want to lose weight permanently over 40.
- Even for women the male sex hormone testosterone is important: It strengthens the tissue and helps to increase muscle mass, thus improving burning fat. What you can do to increase the testosterone level:
- Believe it or not, but sex is really good to get the testosterone production going
- Get enough vitamins (A, C, E, B) and zinc. Good sources are whole grain products, fish, dairy and nuts
- Avoid alcohol, smoking and eating fat
- Exercising regularly helps too
Hormones to lose weight- Progesterone and Beauty
- The declining level of progesterone in women over 40 has another ugly effect: Your body builds less collagen. Your skin starts to get flabbier and you’re getting more wrinkles- you see that in many women over 40. The body proportions change: Fat goes more towards belly and buttocks, thighs and upper arms, making losing weight permanently a top priority for women who want to look good.
Cellulite is a typical problem for women over 40- I’ll cover what to do against cellulite in another post.
Hormones to Lose Weight- Thyroid
Hormones to Lose Weight- Testosteron
Hormones to Lose Weight- What You Can Do
Let’s summarize what you can do for balanced, healthy hormones to lose weight:
- Eat healthy
- Exercise regularly
- Decline your stress level and have a balanced lifestyle
When you look at what is recommended for women over 40 to lose weight permanently, all of these are of high priority too. So what you do to balance your hormone system helps you to lose weight too, and vice versa. Balanced Hormones are important to lose weight! As always, you’ll want to find a program that’s working for you- a general “one size fits all” program will only deliver average results at best.
For a personalized program that’s taking your situation into account see here:
Are you a woman over 40? Do you want to lose weight permanently?
Signup for your free, personalized “Lose Weight Permanently” program.
I answer your questions individually.
Click here now.
- Women Over 40 – Can A Hormone Make You Fat?
- Women Over 40: Hormones And Weight Loss
- Stressed? Relax Into Losing Weight Permanently
- How Fresh Is What You’re Eating?
©2009 CatchYourCalling.com, LLC, All Rights Reserved.